Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hurricane on the brain

It's been just over an hour since Dennis made landfall between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach. The storm video is pretty dramatic. My heart goes out to all my friends down there. I hope you all are safe. I was on Pensacola Beach earlier this year, and it was still a mess from Ivan. Only one hotel had opened back up, and repairs hadn't even started yet on several houses.
On the positive side, my friends and family in the Mobile area were spared the brunt of the storm. So far, winds haven't topped 50 mph there.

Now Dennis is headed our way, and the current prediction is for 50 mph winds here. Things should start getting ugly around 9:00 p.m. lasting through the morning, with the peak winds about 2:00 a.m. We'd done most of our storm prep early, and finished it up this morning. So now we are just waiting, watching our favorite weatherman.

As we figured, the airport is essentially shutting down by about 6:00 p.m. and everyone expects the early morning flights to be cancelled. It's a good thing we already switched our flight to San Diego to Tuesday. I imagine there's a mad rush now.

Why San Diego? I'll be at Catalyst, and the family will be enjoying some vacation time. If Catalyst is as good as I've heard, everyone will have fun. I just hope the storm passes us without incident so we can enjoy our trip.

UPDATE: I thought we'd made it through unscathed, but we lost power at about 8:15 this morning. It hasn't been restored yet, and it may be a while.

UPDATE: Power is back! My family is ecstatic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home