Sunday, August 08, 2004

Anticipation

I've been experimenting with some wannabe next gen retrieval tools recently. Lookahead got me started, but evidently it had not had enough early adopters to work very well on its own yet. One I like better is BlinkX. It's farther along the path towards giving users context aware search capabilities, including local and intranet sourcing as well. Nice, but you know the big industry players are not far behind and will probably eclipse them with their first releases, having hooks into proprietary messaging and office productivity suites etc ...

I can imagine community affinity groups springing up to take advantage of the new data formations - as well as the usual privacy bogeys and security cons, of course.


3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

BlinkX looks interesting. Have you checked it out to make sure there's no evil spyware backend?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

I did not disassemble the code (yet), but I did run it through my home battery of tests, and it came up relatively clean.

3 on a scale of 10, from The Conspiracy Theorists' Toolkit.

(patent pending)

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Was just passing through and saw you were talking about blinkx - have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

Anyway, i read an article the other day with the woman who came up with it and she was saying how it's completely safe and there's no one watching you while you use blinkx! I'm not too up to speed with all the technical jargon but it sounded like we can sleep easy and be confident it ain't spyware.

Hope that helps!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home