Monday, June 21, 2004

Checking email v. checking feeds

I was at an off-site staff meeting last week, and I noticed something about my behavior that struck me. I checked my email regularly, but I almost never checked my feeds.

Why? One reason is habit, which gives some evidence of the behavioral change issues that we face. More importantly though, is the content. My email provides me with more relevant corporate infomation for now. When time is short, you focus on the primary channel and on the stuff that most directly affects you. And today, that stuff is in the email channel.

As much as I get from reading my feeds, they are often lower priority. The good news is that they are still there, neatly organized, when I'm ready to read them.

We will see if and how my behavior changes when there is more corporate content out in feeds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Guy said...

When I first really got the blog/rss realization, I began using NewsGator - kind of a halfway world.

By the time tools like Bloglines and Awasu came along, I was happy to make the clean break from SMTP dependency.

For news, and research, and trans-firewall modes of collaboration.

As Eric points out, we few piloteers are in the vanguard for now, at this particular corporation.

There are Network Effects to appreciate here, big time. It's not just a question of "if we build it, they will come." Usage begets ever greater usage, ever greater usage begets ever greater value to the user base.

Twelve years ago, when I was on the small team rolling out email service at this company, it was the same way. A virtuous cycle.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home