Thursday, May 27, 2004

Natural knowledge capture

Most knowledge management efforts fail because they are an add-on process -- yet another thing to do for the best and brightest in your organization. But what if you took a different approach, and made knowledge capture part of the natural flow of work?

How? By leveraging blogs, notification, and search. If people post to blogs, knowledge that would be buried in email threads is available for everyone to mine via search. And this knowledge gets retained, rather than tossed by an email retention process. Notification lets interested folks -- and only interested folks -- know when new content is available.

Topical blogs with dense cross linking facilitate search (think Google) and the happy accidents that lead to innovation.

Blogs that accept email posts can provide a familiar interface that eases the transition.

What's not to love?

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Meh, I don't know. I still limited usefulness in blogs mainly because it relies on human nature to be successful. The need for recognition of what I know must trump the need to protect my bailiwick for me to post something in a blog. Competitive advantage, y'know? Plus, there still would need to be a way to provide new users a list of ALL possible blogs so they can find the ones that matter to them (or a very good search engine in that department).

All in all, it just seems to me that you need A LOT of simultaneous infrastructure improvements to make weblogs effective (the blogs themselves, good search and effective RSS tools). And that's not even touching on the human factor angle, which I think is tougher to overcome.

Call me the inertia that is the normal "way we do things" but I'm still not convinced of the value there.

And that's my comment for the week.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home